10 New Year's Resolutions for Your Small Business Website
Happy New Year! We wish you all the best and hope you'll achieve all your personal and business goals in 2020.
As you start making your dreams a reality, don't forget to pay attention to your most valuable marketing and branding asset — your website.
Here are 10 ideas for boosting your online presence in 2020:
1. Update outdated content
Even web pages that seem like they contain “evergreen content" should be revisited to ensure everything's still relevant and accurate.
- Examine past articles to see where you can add new information, keywords, and hyperlinks.
- Add new images and videos to increase the appeal of your content.
- Check all pages for accuracy.
2. Fix broken links
Broken links are the worst user experience — and they don't help with SEO either.
- Review all links to make sure they're still functional and relevant, with the help of online tools.
- Remove links to outdated content.
- Update the URL of broken links.
3. Add domain extensions
A .com domain name isn't necessarily the only one or even the best one for your business.
- Register and connect additional domains that directly relate to the type of products and services you offer to specific audiences — using endings like .pink, .green, .bio, or .lgbt.
- Register a country code top-level domain — like .pr for Puerto Rico — if you're looking to target people in specific locations.
- Register domains to boost your branding — for example, register .pro for professional cachet and register .llc to show you're an established firm.
4. Launch or improve your blog
A business blog can help attract visitors, and shows you're up to date and have the expertise customers are looking for.
- Establish a regular cadence you can realistically sustain. Once a month consistently is better than posting five weeks in a row and then nothing for a year.
- Look at your analytics to see what topics generate the most views — and which posts get the most engagement on your site and on social channels.
5. Revamp your keyword list
What are your potential customers searching for? Which keywords can help attract local customers to your business, not in the past but right now?
Make sure you have the most relevant keywords for 2020:
- Create a list of new keywords (including local keywords) to use in 2020, using a tool like keywordtool.io.
- Include keywords in your editorial planning so you won't forget including the right keywords in blog posts, and on product and services pages.
6. Optimize your CTAs
Call-to-action buttons are key opportunities to get visitors to take the first step in becoming a customer or client.
- Ensure CTA buttons catch the eye and are strategically placed.
- Keep text simple and short.
7. Reduce loading time
If your site takes more than three seconds to load, you've got work to do.
- Use Pingdom to check your current loading time.
- Identify causes of slow loading times, like very large image files and outdated, poorly optimized WordPress themes.
8. Add social sharing buttons
Make it easy for people to share content by adding social media buttons to your website.
- Use tools like ShareThis to customize, install, and download share buttons for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other social channels.
- Limit social buttons to networks your audiences actually use to avoid cluttering your site.
9. Use content tags and categories
Organize your content with tags and categories to make it easier to find related content.
- Identify key categories and tags and make them visible on your site — for example, by using tags at the bottom of each blog post.
- Start categorizing and tagging previous content and keep up the work in 2020.
- Avoid having too many or overlapping categories and tags so you keep the focus on the topics that matters most.
10. Make your website responsive and secure
A responsive website that adapts to different screen sizes is table stakes these days, and a site that doesn't announce it's secure is no longer acceptable, even when you're not selling anything.
- Use a mobile-friendly theme that automatically optimizes visitors' experiences based on which device they're using.
- Add SSL to your site so people will see the trust-inspiring https:// in front of your URL.
Optimize your site in 2020
Use the next few weeks to plan out the steps you'll take to give your website a new and improved look. The right tweaks will help improve your online presence and may generate more sales for your business.